Established by the town in 1636 as a “lot” for the burial of residents of the Town of Contentment, as Dedham was called at that time, the Old Village Cemetery is considered to be one of the finest examples in the country of a graveyard dating from the Colonial Period. The first recorded death in the Town was in 1637, though many of the early deaths were either unrecorded or the plots have been plowed over to make room for more graves. The earliest marker is that of Hannah Dyar who died on December 15, 1678.
Video: The Jason Fairbanks Story
Video: The Maritana Shipwreck
“A Boston shipwreck. A ‘cursed’ figurehead. And a monument far from sea” The Boston Globe, 11/20/2019
View a list of burials in the Old Village Cemetery (pdf)
Epitaphs in Old Burial Place_Dedham, copied and arranged by Rev. Carlos Slafter, A.M. (pdf file download)
We now urgently seek to supplement town funding with private donations so that we can immediately ramp up restoration work to see the Old Village Cemetery reborn as Our Village Cemetery.